Friday, January 17, 2014

The Hobbit: A Super Sequel

I was practically dragged into the second movie of The Hobbit, kicking and screaming the whole way. I sat down in the squeaky, sticky theatre seats and rocked back and forth throughout the commercials with a scowl on my face. I would rather be anywhere but sitting in that chair. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE movies. But not this one. Anything but this one.
The first movie of The Hobbit, I fell asleep practically as soon as it started. It was way too long for my goldfish attention span, and way to slow for my speedy mind. I had read the book a few years back, and it hadn't been too bad, but I now knew the whole plotline. Although the books are similar and well represented by the movies, they are B-O-R-I-N-G.
In the second movie, I was stunned. There was a huge difference between the first and second movie, and the second one was so much better. All though there were still some slow and confusing scenes, most captured my attention quickly and I watched with rapt attention.
There was more depth to the movie. Anyone can make a movie with fancy fighting scenes, cool swords, and a pretty face. But not everyone can make a movie with such depth and feeling. There were several symbolic touches to the movie, as well as a look into the dwarves happy home life. These subtle yet memorable moments left viewers astounded and well-connected to the characters.
And the dragon, oh the dragon. Talk about amazing. I've loved dragons since my childhood, loved the mystical nature of it all, the majestic power that they offer. And the movie did well to keep up this impression of dragons. It was by far my favorite part of the movie. It struck fear deep into my core, as well as great admiration in my heart. That is a difficult combination to create. The dragon was beautifully fierce, amazingly horrifying, and perfectly evil.
The book portrays Smaug as just this.
I never thought I'd be saying this, but the movie was good. Honestly, I'd call it great. Not perfect, but worth the watch.



Based off a story from BMC News
http://www.brashiermiddlecollegenews.org/reviewsopinions/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-continues-the-captivating-journey-in-the-hobbit-trilogy/

No comments:

Post a Comment